Cincinnati-based Jeff Galloway Running Group Forum Index Cincinnati-based Jeff Galloway Running Group
All information for the Cincinnati-based Jeff Galloway running group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jurek's Adzuki Bars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cincinnati-based Jeff Galloway Running Group Forum Index -> Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim hubbard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Jurek's Adzuki Bars Reply with quote

Below is the recipe from Scott Jurek's Eat and Run as it was published in Runner's World a few week's back. Immediately below the recipe, I add a few notes about some of the more difficult to find ingredients.

trh

Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1 15-ounce can adzuki beans, drained
1 medium overripe banana
1/2 cup almond or rice milk
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup barley flour
1/4 cup rice flour
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup goji berries, currants, or raisins
1/2 cup nondairy chocolate chips [optional]
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Grease a 9-inch square pan with coconut oil.
3. Blend beans and banana with almond and coconut milk until smooth and creamy.
4. Add the flours, cocoa, syrup, vanilla, and salt, processing until thoroughly mixed.
5. Stir in dried fruit.
6. Pour mixture into pan.
7. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top (we added ours into the mix with the dried ingredients)
8. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until firm.
9. When cool, cut into squares.
Makes 16 bars.
CALORIES PER BAR: 121 CARBS: 23 G FIBER: 1 G PROTEIN: 2G FAT: 2G

The adzuki beans themselves can be ordered cheaply and easily from Amazon, but if you are like me and do not plan ahead, go ahead and substitute kidney beans.

As for the coconut oil, you really don't need much (and you already have some of the milk for flavoring. I think Olive oil works just fine for greasing the pan.

Corrie and I had a difficult time finding the barley flour as well, so we substituted whole wheat flour

Enjoy!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cincinnati-based Jeff Galloway Running Group Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: